Why it is Important to Check
that Gas Appliances are Safe to Use:
Most gas appliances need a
chimney or flue to remove the fumes after burning the gas
and fresh air. They make sure that the fumes from the gas
appliance are not mixed with the fresh air you need to
Gas appliances need air to burn safely. With enough air, gas
appliances produce carbon dioxide and water in safe amounts,
which are normally taken away by a chimney or flue. However,
a gas appliance will produce carbon monoxide if there is too
little air or the chimney or flue is blocked.
Carbon monoxide gas is highly poisonous both to people and
animals. It is difficult to recognise because it has no
colour, smell or taste.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) gas can
kill if you are exposed to it in sufficient amounts. Carbon
Monoxide can be formed whenever fuels such as natural gas,
charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, or wood are
burned without a sufficient supply of air for complete
The danger signs from a gas appliance are stains, soot or
discolouring around the top of a gas fire or at the top of
gas water heater or boiler. A conventional gas appliance
should have a normal blue flame - not yellow or orange.
- Is Colourless
- Is odourless and tasteless
Carbon Monoxide can be produced when:
- Appliances are not properly installed, maintained, or
- Flue pipes become plugged with debris.
- Flue pipes have gaps, leaks, spaces or are rusted
- Too many appliances are vented to one Flue pipe.
Monoxide poisoning can cause collapse or death.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to
those caused by other illnesses, such as colds or flu.
However, if you suffer from unexplained headaches, chest
pains, muscular weakness, sickness, diarrhoea, stomach
pains, sudden dizziness when standing up, or general
lethargy after using a gas appliance, stop using it, go to
your doctor., then ring Technical services.
- If you use a gas space heater that is invented, leave
a nearby window open at least an inch to allow fresh air
to enter the room.
- Have your gas central heating unit checked before the
heating season begins to make sure the heat exchanger is
not cracked or rusted, and that the burner area is clean.
- You can purchase a carbon monoxide detector. Carefully
follow the manufacturer's directions for operation,
placement, and maintenance.
- If you are in a room with gas equipment that is
operating and you experience: Headaches, dizziness, and
nausea, Get some fresh air immediately and seek medical
- If you suspect problems with your appliances, call
your local gas appliance dealer or contact us.
If you suspect you have a gas leak in your home, then:
- do not smoke or strike matches
- put out any cigarettes or naked flames
- do not operate electrical switches or door bells, they
can cause sparks
- turn off the gas supply at the meter
- open all doors and windows to ventilate the affected
- keep people away from the affected area
- act immediately by contacting the National Grid Gas
plc (formerly Transco) Emergency Freephone 0800 111 999
Click for a free, no obligation quote
All major manufacturers/products are covered including: